EfS Leadership Team
EfS Leadership Team
It is an exciting time for sustainability at Valencia! In 2008 a grassroots group of faculty and staff came together to form the college-wide Sustainability Committee, which has grown in membership across all campuses and in size steadily over the years. Since that time, Dr. Shugart signed the American Colleges and Universities Presidents Climate Commitment in 2009, developed a long term Climate Action Plan in 2010, and hired the first Director of Sustainability and energy experts at the college in 2011.
Today our partnerships connect with the workforce, the community and our academic offerings, with a renewed commitment to Valencia’s internal and external sustainability efforts.
At the 2016 Academic Assembly, Education for Sustainability was announced as new work for Academic Affairs. Since that time a small working group was formed to scale this work at the college and a new Director of Education for Sustainability position was created.
EfS Leadership Team Focus Areas:
- Curriculum Development (Curriculum Integration, New Academic Programs and Certificates, Campus as a Living Lab)
- Faculty Engagement, Development and Recognition
- Student Engagement (Skillshops, Clubs, Student Development, SGA) and Opportunities (Service Learning, Undergraduate Research, Study Abroad/Globalization, Internships)
- Institutionalizing Sustainability
- Community Engagement and Partnerships
EfS Leadership Team Members:
- Resham Shirsat, Director of Education for Sustainability
- Karen Marie Borglum, Assistant Vice President Curriculum & Assessment
- Jerrid Kalakay, Faculty, New Student Experience and Social Entrepreneurship
- Shara Lee, Campus Director, Faculty & Instructional Development
- Cheryl Robinson, Director, Honors Program
- James Vrhovac, Professor, English
If you are interested in actively building this work at the College as it connects to our impact plan, please contact Resham Shirsat, Director of Education for Sustainability at email@example.com or 407-582-3018.